Meals for new moms and dads

It seems like it's baby season at my church. New pregnancies, new deliveries and very busy bakers! For every new baby, we (the women in the church) sign up to make and deliver dinner to the family for about a week. When I had Maddy it was so wonderful knowing that we had a set week of food that we didn't have to prepare or purchase. And I've been waiting for the opportunity to do the same for another couple. The opportunity came up recently and I knew exactly what to make!

Meat Sauce with Eggplant
A great meal that's warm, filling and definitely has leftovers is a meat sauce and spaghetti. But I made a healthy version courtesy of the Cook Yourself Thin Faster cookbook.  I made a few substitutions to the recipe, but the main ingredients really made the meal.  Please note: I did not choose the menu for the "thin" aspect. I prefer using lean meat and wanted to see how the eggplant tasted in the sauce and I loved it! I've made it 3 times now.  

1 pkg lean ground beef or turkey
1 large eggplant, peeled and chopped into 1 in. cubes
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cans seasoned spaghetti sauce (I used Hunt's varieties)
salt
pepper
oregano (opt)
soy sauce (opt)
Worcestershire sauce (opt)
  1. In a separate skillet, brown the meat with Worcestershire or soy sauce (optional) depending on your taste preference. Set aside once cooked.
  2. In a stock pot or large sauce pan, cook the eggplant and onions under tender. Add water to the pot if begins to stick or burn.  *The eggplant adds texture and flavor without the extra calories.
  3. When the eggplant/onion mix is soft, add the sauce on medium heat, stirring ocassionally. 
  4. Add the ground meat back into the sauce and cook for a few minutes.
  5. Prepare spaghetti as desired. Serve and enjoy!
The recipe says that the eggplant will dissolve in the sauce, but it didn't for me but that was fine. It didn't taste funny. No one commented on what it was. It was delish!

Chicken Pot Pie
Another classic dish that is always a favorite is Chicken Pot Pie. My friend Jennifer made it for me when I had Maddy and she was planning to make it again for the next new mom.  Here is her recipe:

10oz peas and carrots
1/3 cup margarine or butter
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup chopped onions
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2-3 cups cut up chicken
pastry for 2- 9" pies  (I use store bought)

  1. Melt margarine in saucepan over medium heat.  Stir in flour, onion, salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring constantly until mixture is thick and bubbly.  Remove from heat.  Stir in broth and milk.  Heat to boiling stirring constantly.  Once boiling stir one minute and add chicken, peas, and carrots and remove from heat 
  2. Heat oven to 425 degrees 
  3. Roll out pastry in pie pan, add chicken mixture.  Top with remaining pastry and flute edges. 
  4. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.


What are some of your favorite recipes to bake for others? Or that make tons of leftovers? Leave your ideas or links below!







No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
 
ss_blog_claim=178ee5a32d051edf45e4d3723255f64c