On Thursday August 13, 2009, a group of nearly 40 Tweeting professionals from the Princeton area gathered at Salt Creek Grille for a social media networking event, the first of its kind for local area.
The TweetUp, an in-person meeting for people who know each through Twitter, was as chance for local professionals and entrepreneurs to meet each other for the first time in person and discuss how social media is changing the way people do business.
"I was able to get positive feedback on my Twitter and Facebook activities," commented Debbie Shaeffer CEO of Mrs G TV and Appliances and active Tweeter. "I had the opportunity to learn more from social marketing experts on how to take my business to the next level."
The TweetUp was organized by Hilary Morris, founder of the public relations firm H. Morris Solutions, LLC, and Stacey Katz, Realtor at Weichert, Realtors in Princeton Junction and Social Media guru. Both women, who met through Twitter, realized a need to celebrate the energy that local businesses had for social media and when the idea went public on Twitter, the response was contagious.
It was the excitement and enthusiasm of local businesses that drew Ms. Morris and Ms. Katz to bring everyone together in person. "When you are spending countless hours sharing business and personal 'stuff' in a mere 140 characters," added Ms Katz, "a face to face conversation about your business, passion or anything else felt like the right next step."
Other Princeton professionals in attendance that night included Erik Kent of NJWedding.com, Melissa Klepacki, founder of PrincetonScoop on Twitter, Glenn Gabe, social media expert and founder of G-Squared Interactive, Pamela Mingle, owner of Ballet Physique, Adam Perle, Vice President of the Princeton Chamber of Commerce, Erin Forrey of Mrs Forrey's Furnishings, Kim Schmidt of Kim Schmidt Photography and Ed Tseng, founder of Tseng Performance Tennis Solutions.
For a full listing of businesses in attendance at the Princeton TweetUp visit www.mrsmonj.com. To learn more about future Princeton Professionals social media events, contact Hilary Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org or Stacey Katz at email@example.com. You can also join the Princeton Professionals Social Media Facebook Fan Page.
- David Newton Dunn, Photographer joined by Jen Morack of Computer Explorers and Rob Bacall of Robert Bacall Representatives
- Danielle Weiss, Kerry Gallagher and Lisa Steenstra, seniors at Rider University AND founders of Social Media Burst, are joined by Rider Public Relations professor Aaron Moore.
- Jay Bryant of LiveWorld.com chats with Madhavi Saifee, Director of Online Services at CentralJersey.com
- Debbie Schaeffer of Mrs G TV & Appliances and Adam Perle of the Princeton Chamber of Commerce talk with social media expert Lynette Young of Purple Stripe Productions.
- Dana Weekley of Nine Tomatoes and Pam Mingle of Ballet Physique chat with John Zennario of Stern & Dragoset Real Estate.
- Victor Media of Medina, Martinez and Castroll talks with Robert Morris of Brennan Law Firm (yes, that's my hubby!)