Fairway Market Grand Opening in Paramus, NJ: The Recap

This may sound a little odd, but I just love new supermarkets. BIG and NEW supermarkets with catchy logos and colorful abundant produce sections at the entrance. I'm in no way a foodie by any means (to save money we've been having boiled chicken and a variety of frozen veggies for dinner), but I love to look at it!

That's why I was excited when I received an invitation to the Fairway Market Grand Opening of the Paramus location. Being a Princeton resident, I didn't know of Fairway NY nor did I know of the long anticipation that residents of North Jersey had for this legendary food store to come to town. But after spending an hour up in Paramus, one of the largest shopping meccas in the state, you understand the excitement for Fairway coming to town.

From the performance by the Paramus Catholic High School band to the masses of press and NJ secret service awaiting the arrival of Governor Corzine, Fairway put on a good show.

Upon entrance to the MASSIVE 50,000 sq ft store were towers of colorful fruit and vegetables with happy cartoon-like signs above them. My first jaw-dropping moment was when I spotted apples for $.69/lb! Since I was stuck within a mass of eager shoppers flowing in a one-way direction, I continued on past the bakery, deli, "cheeses from around the world" counter, human-size coffee grinder, an organic section to rival Trader Joes, almost an entire aisle of olive oil and more. As the slogan states: "It's like no other market."

Since I had more than an hour drive ahead of me, I hesitated to by any of the fruit, veggies or $.99/lb chicken and just made my way back out to join the media and await the ceremony.

Joining Howie and Dan Glickberg, the 3rd and 4th generation owners, were local political figures and special guest Gov. Corzine who thanked the Glickberg's for bringing nearly 350 jobs to Paramus. Mayor James Tedesco called Fairway a "bright shining light" and a business about the people who care about people, price and product.

What started in the 1930s as a fruit and vegetable stand at 2127 Broadway, has turned into a phenomenon of supermarkets. The Fairway Paramus location is the first for NJ, but hopefully not the only!

Hey Fairway, there's an empty supermarket in East Windsor for you!




Fairway Market, Fashion Center Mall, Rt 17 North, Paramus NJ 07652
201-444-5455
8am-11pm






No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
 
ss_blog_claim=178ee5a32d051edf45e4d3723255f64c