Eat your veggies!

While I was at the gym, I read some tips in Parenting magazine on how to get your kids to eat food they don't like. On my drive home, I thought of a technique that sounds good in theory but I don't have a way to test it out yet (Maddy has quite a while before she gets argumentative about her dinner food!). So I wanted to pitch my idea to the audience and see if anyone would give it a go and let me know if it works. Here it is:

Each week (or maybe each month), you designate a specific color to a vegetable that you will cook. If possible, take your child with you to the food store and have them pick out the color veggie that looks good to them. For example, if the color is yellow for the month, they can choose from zucchini, spaghetti squash, yellow onion, and corn. It seems fun to associate colors with food and secondly, to let your kids pick them out. Maybe they'd be more inclined to eat it if they picked it. Take it a step further, and designate a second color for fruit.

So please, try it out and let me know if it works!


2 comments:

Lauren said...

Another great way for kids to embrace fruits and veggies is to have them grow or pick their own! We're lucky that our son's day care has a food curiculum that includes farming. (and we're in Westchester County, NY - not the middle of nowhere) Would love to swap tips - my less-often-updated blog is show-and-tell-moms.blogspot.com.

Mrs Mo said...

Thanks Lauren. It's nice to see that the day care is invested in healthy eating like that! We're lucky to live very close to pick-your-own farms too. When we get a house, we'll probably start our own garden...that way we'd also know that we're not getting tainted veggies!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
 
ss_blog_claim=178ee5a32d051edf45e4d3723255f64c