Ward off evil sprits with blue bottles

For a few years now, I've been curious about these blue bottle trees that I see in random spots along back roads.
At first I thought they were some artist's still life project but then I thought there had to be some history to them. After doing some brief searching I found an interesting story behind this ancient African tradition.

They say curiosity killed the cat, but in this case, curiosity killed the evil spirits. I'm not sure about the significance of the color, but the bottles are meant to trap the evil spirits and spooks that climb inside. When morning comes, they are destroyed.

If you feel a need to exorcise/protect your property, you can now make your own blue bottle tree by following the directions explained here.

The tree I spotted was on Cherry Valley Rd in Montgomery Township (on the right hand side just beyond Cherry Hill Rd). If you search online, you'll find that blue bottle trees are popping up all over the place. This person has made an entire website dedicated to them, including pictures from the Netherlands and France.

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
 
ss_blog_claim=178ee5a32d051edf45e4d3723255f64c