Mrs. Mo's Guide to Her Life

Last night as I got into bed, I was inspired to start reading my copy of "The Go Girl's Guide" by Julia Bourland.

In her 'prologue', the author chronicled her 20s with career, men, and personal anecdotes. At the time I read her book, I was right out of college and looking for dating and career advice. But this time, I felt like I could really empathize with her. I'm not out of my 20s yet, but I've been through a lot of changes already. So, in following her template, I will give it a go with my 7 years of the 20s.

Mrs. Mo's 20s

Age 20: I'm really responsible now! I'm an RA. I can handle a floor of 20 freshmen girls. I'm also in shape again and losing weight and trying to attract the attention of Mr. "I'm so Money". First experience with being a heartbreaker...oh..he liked me??? My first taste at a profession other than teaching: Editing a Publication. I took over the yearbook. Soo exciting, but also my first taste of what stress does to your body.

Age 21: Woo hoo! I'm finally caught up with my peers. I was a late 21 b-day. First Semester: kissed a lot of boys...Second Semester: had first boyfriend. All in a matter of months I had first bf, student teaching, yearbook completion, resume writing, job hunting, and friendship turmoil. Tip for those future teachers-some friends will not get the fact that you cannot hang out anymore. May=graduation. Summer=stay at school to finish yearbook and my relationship.

Age 22: Birthday=first job. Teaching computers in Middle School in New Jersey. Issue #1: I was back in NJ. Issue #2: I was living at home. Issue #3: I was single. My plan was to live and work in Northern VA near DC. I felt like a failure being back in NJ at home. But I soon found out that I was part of the majority. I also found that being 21 in Morristown was such a blast! I had so much fun. And the issue of being single, made my life all the better. I got back into shape, flaunted my confidence on the weekend, and pondered my life's ambitions. With my pondering came major anxiety effects. My stress started affecting my everyday life. I was dizzy, light-headed, and felt like I was experiencing Vertigo daily. With a new job, new move, and new life, I though my life was beginning again, but now I had new issues to deal with.

Age 23: First apartment, new job, new friends. Still traveling up to Morristown on weekends to hang out with best friend and "the guys". My anxiety is running my life however. I can't complete a workout without feeling faint. I'm going into work late because I have panic attacks in the morning. But I think I'm loving my new job. I'm teaching more computer skills and enjoying Princeton. Getting a little jaded with the social scene. Wanting to "play the game" as "the guys" do so well. June=new home owner, new condo. Also, new friendships with future husband. Won't admit interest for a few months. Labor Day=new boyfriend.

Age 24: Job gets bad. Anxiety gets worse. Leads to being really good at making apple martinis. Weight goes up...size 14! Ack! Boyfriend supportive, but relationship questionable. Can he handle me like this? Started on medication for anxiety. Learned how common it is and how many people I know take it too! Job is unstable. My future is up in the air again. Do I really want to teach? Is this my life? Forced on the job hunt again. Morristown calls again. A Math job..at my high school. Issue #1: It's my high school! Issue #2: It's an hour from Princeton. Issue #3: I didn't get the job on my own. Accepted job and was skeptical what it would be like. Teaching middle school math had always been a goal. Summer=friend's wedding.

Age 25: New beginning, again. Commuting from Princeton hard, but worth it. Better job, better environment, teaching math so that means the kids actually care what their grade is. Still on medication for my anxiety. Feeling great! Still gaining weight though. Wondering if I would be okay off the medication. January=no more medication. Tried cognitive therapy. What a waste! Start to question if relationship is leading anywhere. June=got a cat! She's so precious! Summer=take on the Bucknell Club of Princeton. Chance to network and plan events. I love this stuff. Who knows where it will lead. Fall=started a course towards a public relations certificate at Rider University. This is perfect for me!

Age 26: Close to moving on with my life. Finally break down to bf (after a long stressful day) and he says..."ok, if we're going to be married, we have to work out the finances." I was like.."what???" And you can bet, I got my dress that same weekend! We planned this wedding in 9 months! It was our baby! And wouldn't you know...my panic attacks stopped and the weight came off! Very interesting. May 6=the big day. It was so exciting! Perfect weather. Totally in La-La-Land. July=Honeymoon Cruise (i'm afraid to fly). September=can I really do one more year of this drive to work??

Age 27:
So far, married life is easy. They say the first year is the hardest. But the transition was very smooth. October=Undefeated field hockey season! I'm not doing this coaching thing for a long time...not for me. December=decide with hubby that this is my last year. Also decide to try to plan a family this time next year. January=break the news to my boss. I kinda liked his sorrow. March=decide not to work full-time next year. Will pursue my PR certificate at Rider and volunteer in the area. I also have the Bucknell Club to do and the blog to build up. May=Kentucky Derby for our 1-year anniversary. Still afraid to fly so we are driving! June=Cruise to Bermuda out of Norfolk. Stopping at Williamsburg on the way home. Summer=hoping to do a lot of LBI trips.

My future is changing again. So much ahead. I'm really excited though. My family is supportive and my husband is excited (especially that we'll hope to have a family next year). I'm excited to jump all the way. They door is open for me now. I have to walk through.



2 comments:

Spoon of life said...

This is great...you look so pretty...I love your pics!!!

Maria

Mrs Mo said...

Thanks so much! Thank you, too, for reading and enjoying my blog. I've been spreading the word of your play to my friends. I can't wait!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
 
ss_blog_claim=178ee5a32d051edf45e4d3723255f64c