Are you Jerseylicious? Scenes from the Hoboken premiere party


Not for nothing, but this past Sunday, I was looking pretty Jerseylicious as the hubs and I headed off to the “Jerseylicious” red carpet premiere at LUA in Hoboken. Being that I’m a Jersey girl and a reality TV lover, this was the place to be. 

We arrived at LUA and the place was already hopping. Everyone was in great spirits and excited to congratulate the staff of Gatsby Salon in Green Brook and the new stars of "Jerseylicious.”  We found a spot near the bar and I quickly realized we were right near all the action. The cast and their families were all around us.  I walked up to a few of the cast members and congratulated them on the show. I must say, the cast really worked the crowd, walking around saying hi to everyone. No signs of Alexa or Olivia though. 

The premiere was organized by The Hip Event in Montclair, NJ and they assured me that the cast would answering questions in the press room.  I had already thought about what questions I would ask. Enough of the “what are you wearing, what do you think of the Jerseylicious v. Jersey Shore” business; I wanted to be original and fun, like my Blues Traveler interview. 

First up, Anthony Lombardi, who owns the Anthony Robert Salon in Verona, NJ.  Anthony and I already chatted it up a bit earlier and I knew he was a totally down to earth guy. I’m not one to brag, but before Anthony and I started the interview he told me that my husband and I were his faves. I’m not shocked, we’re Jerseylicious too. We were there to have a good time and watch a fun show about our home state.  Jersey baby!

Anthony said he’s proud to be from Jersey and that’s what makes him Jerseylicious. “I’m proud of everything the State has to offer. I love everything about this State, I’m a Jersey boy at heart and I wear it on my sleeve and if that makes me Jerseylicious, so be it,” he stated. When I asked Anthony what Jersey celebrity he thought had the best style, he took off his hat, displaying his shaved head and said “I gotta say Bruce Willis. He’s another Jersey boy that lets it all out there, he made it big and he’s not afraid to say he’s from New Jersey.” Anthony always uses a little Bay Rum on his head after shaving and says it feels fantastic.

Christy the salon manager, who is also Gayle’s daughter, came over to speak with me next.  She is proud to be a Jersey Girl and said “I think all us Jersey girls have our own style and originality. We’re loud and bold and not afraid to say what we want to say.”  Christy’s favorite NJ celebrity is Bon Jovi. “Even for a gentleman, he has great hair, he always looks great. I love the fact that he’s never too dressed up. He’s my all time favorite.” Christy’s go-to style product: her Gatsby hairspray.  "I can’t live without it,” she said with excitement. Who knew the Gatsby Salon had their own product line? I sure didn’t. At one point during the night I was able to chat it up in the ladies room with Christy. We talked about Twitter and I offered to give her a Twitter 101 lesson if she ever wanted. I told her it’s a great tool to market the company and herself. 

Gayle Giacomo, Gatsby Salon owner, says she really likes style and has always liked to look nice. “I want to be the best I can be, even at 52. I think our women in Jersey care about what they look like, it means a lot to us.”  Jon Bon Jovi would have agreed; he’s her fave Jersey celebrity. Her favorite products are the SkinCeutical line and Kérastase for her hair. 


Another new addition to the salon, Gigi is full of personality and said that her hair and nails are what makes her Jerseylicious. She is proud of her nails and stressed that they are real and she cut them down recently. She stated “being Jerseylicious means being well put together, feeling good about yourself and being confident.” For cosmetics Gigi loves MAC and for hair she likes Chi hairspray, Kérastase and Goldwell. 

Last but not least, I had the opportunity to chat with Tracy who was looking super stylish in her leopard print dress and teased out hair. I asked her what makes her so Jerseylicious and she said “I think that I don’t take no for an answer, I don’t let people tell me what to do. I mean I’m my own person, I’ve never followed anyone in my life.”  She discussed her role on the show and said she’s pretty much the “I don’t take anything from anybody kinda girl”. Tracy said we will see that and how Olivia tries to push her around but it doesn’t really work out for her. Like Gigi, Tracy said her hair is the most Jerseylicious thing about her. She is a self-proclaimed tease queen. “Tray tease that’s what everyone calls me.” Jerseylicious is about personality and, being friendly and nice to everyone, she said. “I mean it’s the greatest place to be, Jersey, and everyone needs to stop hating on it.”  Hear Hear! 

Asking Tracy what NJ celebrity’s style she adores she stated without hesitation “Bruce is pretty up there”.  Being that my husband is a huge Springsteen fan, and Anthony already stated he loves Bruce Willis’s style, I needed to clarify. My husband was eagerly awaiting an answer.   “Bruce Springsteen or Bruce Willis? If you say Springsteen, my husband is going to be very happy” I said. “Oh yeah I was saying Springsteen. Who doesn’t love Bruce, baby?” Tracy replied. So now we know who my husband’s favorite Gatsby Girl is, Tracy, without a doubt.  

Tracy is a huge fan of Chi Helmet Head hairspray. She swears your hair won’t move and stay in place forever. “People say oh my hair doesn’t stay. That product, it will never let your hair fall. It’s the best thing on the market,” Tracy declared.  

We ended up grabbing a drink with Tracy at the end of the night when the place was clearing out. We talked about Bruce (Springsteen that is), the show and more. I was a pleasantly surprised how nice Tracy was. I saw the previews before the premiere, and the editing definitely paints her in a different light. But like she said earlier in the night, she’s just a Jersey girl who doesn’t take no for an answer and isn’t a follower. I can respect that. Since I’m a Jersey girl born and raised, I get it. 

Next up was the viewing party. There were TV’s scattered around the bar and we all gathered around cheering on the cast and watched the premiere episode. The show is about the re-invention of the Gatsby Salon in Green Brook, NJ. The owner Gayle decided to renovate Gatsby Salon a decade after her husband’s passing, with the help of her daughter Christy, the salon manager. Not only did they want to change the physical look and feel of the salon, by updating it, they wanted to bring in some fun younger new stylists to help with the salon's re-birth. The cast is full of bold, bright personalities with tons of style and flair. The remaining episodes will document the lives of the new stylists as they enter a new journey with the Gatsby Salon.  

Right before we left LUA, we ran into Brielle Morelli, a Season 2 Jerseylicious hopeful. Brielle is hoping to land a role as a featured cast member for next season. She’s super sweet and we are crossing our fingers for her.  

After meeting this super cool, down to earth cast, I am without a doubt a Jerseylicious fan. The show is fun and totally Jersey. How could you not love it?  

Make sure you check out Jerseylicious on the Style Network Sunday nights 10/9 c.  
Follow the cast on Twitter:


Photos courtesy of The Hip Event
(L-R): Jerseylicious stars Frankie Buglione, Gigi Liscio, Tracy DiMarco, Lorenzo Gangala, Gayle Giacomo, Christy Pereira, and Anthony Lombardi

(L-R) Mother-daughter team Christy Pereira and Gayle Giacomo


Katie DeVito is a freelance writer living in Mercer County, NJ with her husband. Her journey to find full time employment is currently being documented for Parade Magazine. Follow her blog at http://www.kkdevito.wordpress.com and on Twitter @kdevito.

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
 
ss_blog_claim=178ee5a32d051edf45e4d3723255f64c