Meet North Jersey wedding make-up artist, Lauren Tomasetti

It's starting to feel a lot like wedding season 2010!  Vendors and future brides are gearing up for events all over the state with some professionals traveling from Bergen County to The Jersey Shore.


At bridal expos, it's common to find a few national brands like The Knot and The Wedding Channel, but a lot of wedding vendors at local shows are not only extremely talented and creative, but they are in business for themselves or running the long-standing family business.  Take North Jersey's Lauren Tomasetti for example. Lauren is a professional make-up artist with a specialty in weddings.  She started her own company,  The Powder Bar, after years of working in the industry both as an actress and a make-up artist.  She's done everything from film and TV, runway shows, special effects and more, but her love is bridal beauty. Here's more about Lauren:

MrsM: What was your inspiration to start The Powder Bar?

LT: I started my business after being out on the West Coast and putting in long days on film sets and wanted something more personal and rewarding. This business was a way to touch individuals with my craft on a more personal level and be home for my new daughter at the same time  

MrsM: With starting a business, picking a name is always so key to branding yourself.  How did you come up with The Powder Bar?

LT: I came up with this name after bouncing many names back and forth. The Powder Bar sounded like someplace I wanted to be:  girlfriends, make-up, hair, cocktails, and pampering.

MrsM: I read that you started playing with make-up at a young age. What were some of your influences? Whose style did you try to copy growing up? Who has some of the best ‘faces’ in the industry?

LT: From a very young age I remember sneaking into my mother’s vanity and playing with all her Chanel make-up. Then when I was old enough to get an allowance every week I would go down to the drugstore and use it on lipsticks. Growing up I always felt like old Hollywood was so beautiful and I love the classic looks. Woman at that time were starting to wear less and less make-up and I always wanted to see more. Then came the age of supermodels and I loved recreating the make-up looks you would see in Vogue and Bazaar. As we approach 2010, make-up is back more then ever, and thanks to make-up forward women like Gwen Stefani, Scarlett Johansson, Jennifer Lopez, and Christina Aguilera women are feeling beautiful and sexy in make-up.


MrsM: I love all of the color that "Scar-Jo", Gwen and Christina wear and whenever possible I try to pull off a bold lip. Other than that, I'm mostly all about the eyes.  What would you say are an essentials list for any make-up bag?

LT: Right now my “must have” products are Make-up Forever High Def Primer, Dior Airflash Foundation, Sephora Blotting Sheets, Benefit Hoola Bronzer, Shu Uemura Eye Lash Curler, L’Oreal Voluminous Mascara, Rosebud Lip Salve, and Mac C-thru Lip-gloss.

MrsM: You certainly know your make-up.  So, how did you get into doing weddings?

LT: I have always done bridal parties here and there while working at companies such as MAC and Laura Mercier. I decided to fully focus my skills on the wedding industry because I wanted to work from home and be there for my daughter as well as for the rewarding feeling that comes with being there with a bride on her big day.
 
MrsM: Do you have any favorite client stories or memories?
 


LT: Every client is truly special. I love doing bridal parties just for the sheer excitement of the day. It makes me want to get married about 50 times a year. I also try to donate my services to charity events doing make-up for battered women and cancer survivors. Nothing is more rewarding then helping a woman achieve confidence knowing she looks beautiful.

MrsM: I'm sure with all of your years working sets and with private clients, you have so many stories to tell! But regarding the business end of things, what advice can you give someone who really enjoys make-up and has a talent about getting into the business?

LT: Don’t ever give up on your passion no matter what it is. If make-up is what you truly love to do then I would advise you to take some classes to fine tune your craft. After that then start assisting a make-up artist to see how the business side works. Being a good artist is only half of it: you are also your own boss so marketing and selling the gift you have is the 2nd part of having a successful career as a make-up artist.

MrsM: What are some of your future plans / goals for your business?

LT: Right now I am happy where I am. My artists and I do about 50 – 75 events a year. In a year or two I will be opening a boutique where women can come and get pampered, take make-up classes, buy top of the line cosmetics, have beauty parties and just enjoy being girlie. Look for the opening of The Powder Bar near you!




No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
 
ss_blog_claim=178ee5a32d051edf45e4d3723255f64c