Morristown-Beard School will officially unveil its new 20,850-square foot Performing Arts facility on Saturday, April 25th at 6 p.m. at the “Opening Doors, Opening Night” gala celebration on campus.
The new building features a spectacular 630-seat theater as well as choral, instrumental and theater rooms, a dance studio, a box office, and rehearsal spaces.
“This promises to be an evening for the Morristown-Beard School history books,” said Morristown-Beard Headmaster Alex Curtis. “This beautiful new facility will not only be a venue for student talent, guest speakers and performers, but also a gathering space for the entire school community to assemble under one roof – something that was not possible until now.”
The evening will include the naming and dedication of the facility, a gourmet cocktail reception, an auction and wine raffle, and – the highlight of the evening – marvelous performances by Morristown-Beard students.
The Performing Arts facility is being funded through the “Ahead with Confidence” capital campaign, one of the largest undertakings by Morristown-Beard School. Currently, the School has raised more than $14.4 million towards its goal of $16.2 million. The campaign has also funded the construction of Morristown-Beard’s new Middle School, which opened in the fall of 2008.
* 20,850 square-foot theater with support spaces
* Seating for 630 (Main Floor: 430 seats, Balcony: 200 seats)
* Rooms for music and drama, a dance studio, and all the technology and support space for performances at the highest level
* An attractive and flexible space where the entire School community can gather for assemblies as well as for performing arts events
* The Center provides the proper venue to showcase MBS’ talented students
* At the height of work in August 2008, there were 114 tradesmen on site. During the life of the project, 28 different trades were involved in the construction.
* At the beginning of the project, more than 250 truckloads of soil were moved from the site during excavation.
* There were 1,500 cubic yards (or 150 truckloads) of concrete poured for the footings and slabs of the new construction.
* There were more than 125,000 pounds of rebar used in the reinforcement of the footings and foundation.
* More than 250 tons (or half a million pounds) of steel was used to create the framework of the building.
Director of Communications