Pets and Kids: Reaction to baby

There is no doubt that our cat Bridie has been displaced by Maddy's arrival. Not only has there been someone new taking all of our attention, but when Maddy was in the hospital, so were we and that meant alone time for Bridie.

The past few days, I've noticed how similar Bridie is acting to how an older sibling might when the new baby is down for a nap. Miss Bridie, who usually takes cat naps in the corner of the living room has been cuddling up next to me on the couch when Maddy is not in sight. It is like clockwork: as soon as Maddy is put down, Bridie jumps up for attention. It's as if she is saying, "yes, now I get Mommy's attention." I have to admit that I have to remind myself to give her scratches and attention. She went from being my "baby" to being my cat and her behavior change is very easy to read.

So just as older siblings need some private "Mommy and Me" time with the arrival of a new baby, so do pets. Give your dog or cat an extra scratch today.

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
 
ss_blog_claim=178ee5a32d051edf45e4d3723255f64c