Pregnancy books that WON'T scare you

I was telling the midwife at my OBGYN center that I was getting anxious about childbirth and had read about different things that could happen in my "What to Expect..." book. She told me that those are terrible books and all they do is scare women! She recommended an alternative book (though it promotes natural childbirth) that is less scary. I was also told of another book from a friend of my sister-in-law that gave a less medical spin on pregnancy and birth.


From the midwife:
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth- Based on reader reviews on Amazon.com it seems that this book calms the nerves of many women whether or not they choose to give birth naturally. It is always helpful to read testimonials from real women rather than assumptions of what you should be going through.







From a real mom:
Great Expectations: Your All-in-One Resource for Pregnancy and Childbirth-She loved this book because it talked of the baby in an inanimate kind of way like comparing it to a fruit at different stages. So instead of using specific measurements she felt better thinking of her baby like a little mango or peach! The Amazon.com reviewers recommended this over other pregnancy books and said it calmed their fears as well.

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
 
ss_blog_claim=178ee5a32d051edf45e4d3723255f64c